Translation Commons is a volunteer-based nonprofit public charity aiming to help our language community thrive. We encourage cross-functional collaboration among the diverse sectors and stakeholders within the language industry. Our mission is to offer access to open source tools and all other available resources, to facilitate community-driven projects, to empower linguists and to share educational and language assets.
Translation Commons with the invaluable help of hundreds of language professional volunteers has accomplished many goals:
- Created an 80-page Mentoring Guidelines for T&I freelancers
- Revived the famous eCoLo project, shareable resources and training courses on language technology, first created by a consortium of Universities
- Has created a student portal and partners with Universities allowing students to contribute while learning and earning academic credits
- Surveyed the attitude of interpreters towards technology and is currently opening discussions with valuable feedback to various tool providers
- Revived the Linport project, with a new partnership between LTAC Global and Translation Commons. Linport is a collaborative project developing an open, vendor-independent format that can be used by many different translation tools to put translation materials into containers. It plans to draw from existing successful localization industry standards with multiple benefits for all stakeholders in the localization value chain.
Our needs are numerous and it’s important to get everyone involved because we must:
- Ensure skill continuity for our industry
- Help our language students by bridging the gap between academia and industry
- Create global internships and mentoring programs
- Strengthen our supply chain ensuring all stakeholders are happy
- Make translation services a strategic part of commerce
- Grow the visibility and importance of our community and gain recognition
- Learn to work together and share
But there are many other ways to help. To make our vision of a thriving language community come true, we need everyone’s support in so many ways:
- Become a Translation Commons member
- Join our main groups and contribute where your passion leads you
- Create a new group and gather the community to your cause
- Showcase your existing project with all other Language Industry Initiatives
- Donate your specialist material to train new professionals
- Become part of our social media team and spread the word
- Sponsor and fund our website development and community projects
- Pass on this message to the financial decision-makers in your company
- Sign-up for our newsletter
Everybody will benefit from everything Translation Commons, its sponsors and volunteers do. Please write to email@example.com with your feedback, thoughts and ideas.
Show everyone how much you care for our community!