Translators without Borders envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. Our mission is to provide people access to vital information in a language they can understand and we do this by connecting our non-profit partners to a community of over 3,500 volunteer professional translators. We work with technology companies and language service providers to respond to language and content needs in the humanitarian sphere.
We pursue our mission in three ways:
- translating and creating critical content for non-profit and governmental partners around the world
- building awareness of the need to provide information in the right language, and
- building language translation capacity at the local level
Originally founded in 1993 in France as Traducteurs sans Frontières (now its sister organization), Translators without Borders’ accomplishments, over the past six years, have included:
- Creating Words of Relief, the world’s first-ever global translation network designed to provide real-time linguistic support following crises and disasters. Words of Relief is currently operating in the Refugee Crisis in Greece and the Balkans, and was active 24/7 through its Rapid Response Teams in the response to the Nepal Earthquake.
- Establishing a Translator Training Center in Kenya, which to date has trained more than 250 men and women to support civic, health, and humanitarian efforts in the region while providing them with new economic opportunities as translation professionals.
- Translating Ebola messages, posters, and visual/audio announcements from English into seven West African languages, making vital health information accessible to more than 20 million people.
- Building a global online network of 3,500 volunteer translators providing 33,000 hours of donated translation services per year in 150 language pairs with over 35 million donated words in total.
- Launching the Words of Relief Digital Exchange (WoRDE), an open repository of information in languages of the affected populations, to ensure that vital translated information can be found by people who need to respond to crises.
Translators without Borders is a US registered non-profit organization.