- This event has passed.
Are We Fit for the Future? – 2nd Conference for Translation & Interpreting Professionals
Industry and Academia join forces once more to take another step forward in the fields of Translation and Interpreting!
The Panhellenic Association of Translators (PEM), the Department of Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpreting (DFLTI) of the Ionian University and the Hellenic Society for Translation Studies are co-hosting the 2nd Conference for Translation and Interpreting Professionals.
The conference will be held on Friday 20 & Saturday 21 October 2023, at the premises of the Journalists’ Union of Athens Daily Newspapers (ESIEA, 1st Floor, 20 Akadimias Street, Athens, Greece).
At the same time, PEM is hosting the FIT Europe Member Associations’ Annual Meeting, on Friday 20 October 2023.
- The Conference is the perfect opportunity for:
- new professional translators and interpreters who are currently taking their first steps in the market,
- seasoned professional translators and interpreters who want to find out about all the latest industry trends,
- translation and interpreting students who want to network and explore their current professional prospects.
In a time of intense global upheaval and extremely high uncertainty for many professions and society at large, we bring together academics and professionals to discuss a simple question: Are we fit for the future?
The objective of the Conference is to tackle:
- the current situation in the fields of professional translation and interpreting
- the methods, practices, and technology needed in Translation and Interpreting today
- the added value and contribution of T&I research in modern professional practice and training in these fields.
This year, which also marks the European Year of Skills, we seek to underline the importance of the rise and integration of AI and LLM technology within Translation & Interpreting.
Our aim is to not only show how AI and LLMs have reshaped the way professionals work, but also to cast a light on the necessity of embracing and understanding the possibilities and challenges of the new advancements in these technologies.
The motto of the Conference is “Are we fit for the future?” because we hope that this Conference will provide solutions to the crucial issues currently faced by the industry, as well as answers that will help translation and interpreting professionals navigate the future.
Programme & Speakers
The keynote speaker is Gabriella Suzanne Vanzan – Vice Chairperson, FIT Europe.
The programme also includes speeches and presentations by professors and academics from Greece and Cyprus, as well as experienced professionals in the fields of Translation & Interpreting.