Spanish Translator (Latin American Spanish)
Looking to work with internationally minded professionals that share the same sense of purpose and passion of improving the world through education? If so, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
We are currently seeking a Spanish Translator to join our Multilingual Editorial Production department (MEP) in house translation team in Bethesda, Maryland. We are looking for someone passionate about the Spanish language and associated cultures, who can also act as an advisor to all content authoring departments and provide feedback to other translators when needed.
The IB provides all of its services and documents in English, French and Spanish and a limited set of documents in additional languages (Arabic, Chinese, German, Japanese). The MEP department provides editorial, production and translation services to the whole of the organization to support the IB’s external stakeholders in the IB languages.
As a Spanish Translator, you will help carry out translation, revision and other quality control and maintenance tasks for a variety of projects in accordance with the MEP’s quality assurance framework, allowing your work to have global visibility.
- Translate documents and other IB materials from English into Spanish and revise translations produced by external translators and other team members, ensuring accuracy, quality and consistency of those translated materials
- Evaluate translator performance, providing supporting comments on changes made to the translated text
- Conduct necessary research on meaning and terminology to support revision
- Effectively use CAT tools, termbases, glossaries and other reference materials
- Copy-edit texts originally produced in Spanish to ensure correct application of grammar, spelling, house style and IB terminology
- Proofread documents to ensure their readiness for publication
- Contribute to the maintenance of target language house style guides, glossaries, translation memories and term bases through appropriate research and consultation
- Stay abreast of developments in the field of publishing and translation
- Provide linguistic and cultural advice and guidance to authors and other IB staff as required
- University graduate (Masters) and qualified translator
- Proven experience as translator (at least two years in an in-house position)
- Proven translation and editing skills
- Excellent command of English, to be able to interpret correctly and with minimal assistance complex texts
- Excellent command of Spanish language, equivalent to that of an educated native speaker
- Background in, at least, one Latin American variety of Spanish
- High level of computer literacy, including experience with CAT tools
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent eye for detail
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Able to work independently and proactively, and to meet deadlines
- Aware of linguistic and cultural differences within varieties of Spanish
- Good knowledge of other IB languages will be beneficial
About the IB:
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment to over 5,000 schools worldwide to children aged 3-19, as well as comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators. Our educational programmes encourage students across the world to be active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
We are seeking talented individuals who thrive in a global and dynamic environment with amazing benefits and opportunities for career growth and development. This is the place where your ideas are welcome and global perspectives are encouraged. Be a part of an organization that wants to make the world a better place. Apply now!
*The IB is an equal opportunity employer. It provides employment opportunities to employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, ethnicity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic status, or status in any group protected by federal, state, or local laws.*
“This job is offered on local terms and conditions and is at will.”