The Translations & Content Agency in Booking.com is looking for a Language Quality Manager to own the linguistic quality of our translations and language services. Booking.com delivers world-class customer and partner experience in 43 languages and dialects through our in-house language teams, a large pool of freelance translators, and machine translation – your role is to ensure that our language services are always delivered at the highest possible quality.
To achieve this, you’ll work together with our Translations Services Manager, a wide range of stakeholders across the business, our Operational Excellence team, and our Language Specialist, Freelance management and machine translations teams. You will define metrics for the measurement of quality for different services, and work to ensure that all of our services are delivered at the correct quality level.
You have deep expertise of the translations industry as well as proven success in managing the quality of language services at scale. You’re a leader in your field, passionate about the quality topic and committed to providing the highest standards. Together with our key stakeholders, you’ll be defining what quality is for our language services, including how it is measured, while continually optimizing following needs analysis. You’ll also measure and continually improve the curricula.
This role is based in our headquarters in Amsterdam and reports to the Translations Services Manager in the Translations & Content Agency.
- Ownership of linguistic quality for all languages, including quality framework definition, measurement and improvement.
- Research and deploy methods to improve quality management at scale
- Put corrective and preventative actions in place where service falls short of quality expectations
- Provide input on management of existing linguistic assets (glossaries, style guides, translations memories, etc.), processes and related issues
- Identify skill requirements needed to deliver each service within Translations teams, optimising performance framework and learning journey to upskill accordingly
- Create training materials and documentation, roll out and assess effectiveness
- Challenge the status quo and find new ways to gain incremental quality improvements in our services
- Ensure quality of output of our language teams, including establishing and maintaining appropriate KPIs
- 5+ years’ deep expertise in language services quality management, ideally in an e-commerce environment
- Proven track record of delivering quality in language projects across minimum of 20 languages
- Wide knowledge of the translations industry, with an established network and great understanding of new approaches to quality management
- Solid understanding of quality management (style guides, glossaries), as well as an understanding of requirements of translations tooling to support this
- Excellent communicator with proven stakeholder management experience
- Experience of role development and performance frameworks within translations
- Strong ability to prioritize according to business needs
- Proactive and results-oriented attitude
- Understanding of translation memory tools and translation management systems. A good understanding of machine translation post-editing is a plus
- Ideally educated to postgraduate level in linguistics or related field. An MBA is valuable, but more important is an ability to think creatively, scalably and move fast.